Good morning to these little gems!! They are packed with fruits and veggies and nuts and seeds!!
Over the Easter holiday, we were in Bermuda… AWESOME, by the way… my daughter had asked if I could host our annual Easter Egg Hunt since we were going to be back “home” for the holiday, to which I answered YES! Of course, who WOULDN’T host a few guests for a gathering in 2 days time, after arriving to a kitchen that I have not used in 6 months, that has since been completely rearranged and depleted of all edible ingredients?!?!? I am totally game… why do I do that?!?!? Why do I do that ?!?
I had to get very creative in the kitchen! Seriously, very creative… at least my blender is still there and still works!! I decided I should make something carrot based because, well, The Bunny does love carrot after all, right?
I also wanted to make something that could cover the needs and preferences of my guests… vegan, gluten-free, low sugar, still delicious and sweet but healthy! At least healthy-ish… easy peasy 😜😝☺
This is what I came up with!
I call them Rustic Mini Carrot Cake Muffins!
These babies are vegan, gluten-free and yummy! They do have a bit of sugar in them but at least the fiber and protein from the flax seed, oats and nuts helps to balance to release of the sugars into your system along with upping the nutritional punch you are getting at the same time!
My very sweet, dear, beautiful, insanely talented in the kitchen, extremely educated on all things nutrition and all round super awesome friend Lorissa gave them the thumbs up so I decided to share the recipe!☺
I will carry on to the recipe and add some photos from our Easter Egg Hunt at the end. The day ended up being an absolutely perfect time with dear friends that we could not be more grateful for!! And I am so glad that I am insane enough to say YES to these requests that any sane person would say No to! Quite understandably, by the way!
Carrot Cake Muffins
2 cups ground gluten-free oats
1/3 cup sugar of choice ( coconut sugar, date sugar, maple syrup or organic granulated sugar)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup carrots shredded
1/4 cup olive oil (or liquid coconut oil)
3 Tbsp ground flax seed
6 Tbsp water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
optional: instead of or in addition to walnuts you could use vegan chocolate chips, chopped dates or raisins
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly grease mini muffin tins, or use liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flaxseeds and water and set to the side.
- In a bowl mix together all dry ingredients.
- In blender of food processor, blend banana, shredded carrot, oil and vanilla.
- Add the carrot mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the flax seed mixture and mix well. If it is very thick you can add either water or nut milk, little by little… sometimes the banana and carrots hold enough moisture that you do not need to add any liquid, sometimes you need to add a bit… approx 1/4 cup if you do need to add moisture.
- Mix in your walnuts or optional ingredient(s) of choice.
- Scoop into your prepared muffin tins.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes then lower temp to 350 degrees and cook 10-13 minutes longer, check for done-ness.
I really hope you enjoy them as much as we did! I love that when I make these now, they are a reminder of such a lovely time and that makes them all the sweeter and more delicious! May you enjoy them with friends and family over love and laughter and of course… a nice cup of tea! ☺❤
❤️ Remember, I am on instagram @sweetsimpledelicious