I hope you have all been having a great summer!! We are still enjoying the last couple weeks before school starts! Soaking up all we can but the end of summer is coming and I am starting to OBSESS over what I will pack in my children’s lunch boxes!!
Trying to find foods that they will eat, that are good for them AND that they are not completely bored of can be difficult!
So, after another major move (two within one year! I do not recommend this to any any any one by the way!?) I am back in the kitchen and whipping up some sweet, simple and delicious goodness!
Enter Green Monster Muffins! Not only are they super yummy and filled with wholesome nutrients, my son also loves their name!☺️
These Green Monster Muffins, sweetened with Maple syrup and host to Spinach, Carrots and Banana can very deliciously be eaten for breakfast, snack or even as a healthy addition to lunch (especially for those picky eaters).
Here is the low down on some of the ingredients. I always think it helps to know WHY something is a better choice!
Spinach: Go greens! My personal favorite! Loaded with iron, rich in vitamin C and vitamin K AND protein! That’s right, spinach has protein in it!
Carrot: Rich in beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A for great eyes, skin, hair and nails.
Banana: Naturally sweet so we can cut down on additional sweetners-awesome! Rich in folate and potassium- even more awesome!
Flax: Oh glorious flax seeds❤️. Flax seeds are one of the best plant based forms of omega 3 fatty acids, rich in protein and high in fiber! Need I say more?
Now, with all of that yummy knowledge, try them out and let me know what you, and your little ones think!
1 1/2 cups flour (I use a whole wheat/white mix but you can use your favorite flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp ground flax seeds
6 Tbsp water
1 grated or shredded carrot
2 large handfuls of spinach
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
4 Tbsp vegan butter melted (I use Earth Balance brand)
1 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease muffins tins.
- Mix ground flax seeds with the water and set to the side.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In your blender: blend together banana, spinach, grated carrot, maple syrup and vanilla. Blend well, until nice and smooth.
- Pour blender full of green goodness into your flour mixture and mix well.
- Add flax mixture and the melted vegan butter to the mixture. Mix until well blended
- Fill the muffin tins 3/4 full. Either mini muffin tins or full size.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes.
- Allow to cool and the rrrrrroar! Enjoy!
If you child loves green or the hulk, these could even be frosted and used as super cool green cupcakes!
Please let me know what you think, I love hearing from you and thank you for taking the time to try my recipes!❤️
Remember you can find me on Instagram @breathewellness.april