I really get way too excited about food! But look at these colours straight from nature!
I have been on a quest to create a yummy veggie burger for a very long time. Some have been good, some… well… not so good😝!
After a long journey with beans, veggies and herbs I have created what I think is a super yummy and aesthetically pleasing vegan veggie burger! Whilst the latter is not really that important, it IS a bonus!
The Ah-mazing colour of My Very Awesome Veggie Burger comes from beets. beet roots are packed with vitamin C, help fight inflammation and are high in fibre.
Chick peas pack an awesome plant based protein punch along with fibre and folate. The Quinoa added to these babies is another plant based protein power house and all of these flavours come together so beautifully! Add in a little more fibre and protein from the almond meal and we are ready to rock nutritionally!
I like that this veggie burger looks a little different and tastes a little different to your average veggie burger. The spices marry so nicely into the family of texture and colour from the beets, chick peas and quinoa.
I have been obsessed with them and served them a few different ways.
- Over salad, topped with avocado with a side of roasted sweet potatoes and asparagus.
- On a bun, more traditional style with fries.
- In a wrap with coleslaw… really yummy!
- Broken atop Creamy Cashew Cauliflower soup!
Okey doke my friends, let’s move on to the recipe:
1 Beet Root peeled and chopped into cubes
1 Can chick peas drained and well rinsed
1 1/4 Cup cooked Quinoa (I like to cook in Veggie broth for this recipe)
1/2 Cup almond flour
3 Tbsp chopped onion
1-2 Cloves of garlic chopped or pressed
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp vegetable broth
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 Tbsp tamari
1 Tsp turmeric
1 Tsp cumin
1/2 Tsp salt
Sprinkle of cayenne
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sautée onion in the olive oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic and sautée for 2-3 minutes longer. Remove from heat and set to the side.
- In a food processor add beat root, chick peas, lemon juice, vegetable broth and tamari. Process until smooth.
- Add almond flour, onions and garlic. Pulse until combined.
- Add all dry spices and blend until well mixed.
- Transfer beautiful pink mixture into a mixing bowl and add cooked Quinoa and chopped fresh cilantro. Mix until well blended.
- Using a large spoon, scoop the mixture onto prepared baking sheet and shape. Usually around clementine to orange sized rounds depending on the size you would like them to be.
- Press down slightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes then flip and bake for 15-20 minutes. Check after 15.
I prefer my veggie burgers moist but some prefer them a little more well done so if you are like me take them out tender, if not just keep an eye on them.
Serve as your mood suits and enjoy My Very Awesome Veggie Burger plant based protein blast of goodness and beauty.