Friends! Super excited! Today is a win!
Life can throw us curve balls that can come in many different forms! We can choose to learn and grow from our challenges. My health coaching clients are always asking me about eating healthily on a budget. I am always looking for ways to keep nutrition high and costs low but because of a couple curve balls in my direction I have a whole new and extreme appreciation for this! It can be challenging but I am committed to proving it CAN be done! Our health is so important and it all starts with what we eat!
The reason I am delving into this “life situation” topic is because this particular dish for Meatless Monday (well, any day of course!) is nutritious, delicious and so very inexpensive! Yay! It is also super quick and easy to make! Double yay!
People can shy away from committing to healthier choices because of cost concerns and whilst it can be more challenging I am here to help you. I can fully appreciate, first hand, how challenging it can be but I have got your backs friends!
Spinach: High in niacin, protein (yes! Spinach is a source of protein!), fibre, vitamins A,C and E and lets not forget iron.
Walnuts: An excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids, they are rich in antioxidants as well as the b vitamin biotin (hello healthy hair, skin, nails and HEART!).
Sweet Potato: Filled with beta-carotene, vitamin C, potassium and fibre.
Refried Beans (organic/vegetarian): Glorious beans! Packed with protein, fibre and iron.
- 3 Cups fresh spinach
- 1 Sweet Potato grated
- 1/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1 Clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 Tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper optional
- 1 Can of vegetarian refried beans
- Tortillas of your choice: flour, corn, gluten-free…
– In a pan over medium heat, sauté chopped onions in the olive oil. Sauté for about 3 minutes.
– Add garlic and grated sweet potato, sauté for about 2 more minutes.
– Mix in salt and pepper.
– Add the spinach and sauté until spinach is tender and beautifully bright green. Remove from heat and add the ground walnuts. Mix well.
– Prepare your choice of tortilla with a coating of refried beans. The thickness of the layer depends on your preference!
– Pile on the spinach and sweet potato mix, to half of the tortilla of choice.
Heat a skillet or pan to medium with a little olive oil in it, Place the prepared tortilla into the pan and fold in half, cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Keep an eye on it and flip a couple times.
Warm, hearty, Scrumptious! Remove from pan, cut as you would like! Serve with salsa, guacamole, rice, quinoa… again, the possibilities are endless!
Let me know what you think!!